Friday, August 2, 2013

Crafty Friday - Crayon Wreath

School time is coming quickly here in Florida.  The kids go back in less than twenty days.  My little guy is old enough this year for preschool and will be going 5 half days.  (And no, I am so not ready for it!) We also have the new baby coming.  I decided I wanted to make a big deal out of school for him and make it special.  So I decided to change out my summer décor in the front alcove to a back-to-school theme.   I saw the idea for a crayon wreath all over Pinterest.  Here is my spin on it. 



Supplies Needed:
 Piece of cardboard
 Wreath form or circles for tracing
 Glue Gun
 Scissors
3 boxes of 24 crayons (I got mine at Staples for $.25 each)
Ribbon for hanging the wreath
Wood School Theme pieces for accents


First, I used the wreath form to trace the inner ring and outer ring onto the cardboard.  A lot of people on pinterest used embroidery rings as a base but I didn't want to spend any more money or make another trip to the store.


Next cut out the circles to form the base for the wreath.



Then I started gluing the crayons around the wreath.  I made sure to run a strip of glue in the middle of the crayon on the back so that the Crayola logo was showing.


Keep gluing the crayons around the cardboard wreath form.  I had no pattern to it - I just made sure no two colors were next to each other.  And it is okay if there is spaces because we are going to fill them in.



Once I had gone all the way around the cardboard wreath, I went back and filled in the smaller spaces with another crayon glued on top to create a second layer.


Next, use your wood accent pieces to cover some of the larger spaces created  when layering the crayons.


I used a wooden apple and bus purchased pre-painted at a local craft store for around $.59 each.   Then I used a mini chalkboard I found in my craft stash and wrote "ABC" on it.  In another larger space I strung some leftover "ABC" ribbon for hanging.


Once the ribbon is strung, tie in a double knot making a loop for hanging. Then create a bow around the loop to finish it off.


And that's all there is too it.  I hung it in my alcove and will reveal the rest of the decorations in another post so stay tuned!!













No comments:

Post a Comment